Mama, You're Not Broken
What is wrong with me?
Am I the only one who feels this way?
I can't keep this up... how are all the other mothers doing this?
Why did no one tell me it would be like this?
For too long, the first rule of motherhood has been not to speak about the reality of motherhood. We are warned about the dizzying highs, the moments of heart bursting love, and the depths and despair of exhaustion, yet the in-between bits don’t rate a mention. Swirling (and often simultaneous) emotions like fear, overwhelm, anger, guilt, grief and even boredom are all but missing from the conversation completely.
Anna Cusack’s Mama, You’re Not Broken breaks the silence on these taboo topics, exploring the emotional underbelly and physiological processes of being a mother within a social framework that doesn’t value the work of raising children. Part wakeup call and part warm shower (alone), Cusack draws on research and personal experience to shine a light on the ways we can transcend the feelings of inadequacy, isolation and altogether not-enoughness that plague us as modern mothers. This book is an invitation to mothers to move beyond the myth that “this is just the way things are” in order to cultivate a more meaningful and satisfying life than the perfectly pleasant, self-sacrificing version of motherhood we’ve been sold, for ourselves and for our children.
It’s time to unmask the unspoken emotions of modern motherhood.
Paperback orders via this website are open to worldwide addresses.
For eBook in Australia, go here.
For eBook outside Australia, go here.
"Mama, You're Not Broken" Book Club
This is a 9 week program for readers to unmask and upgrade their own experience of modern motherhood. Together we co-create a container wherein we detox from the guilt and angst and not enough-ness that has been dragging at our energies. From this place of self-leadership we come to lead our families, friends and clients simply by being us, not by doing more.
Exploration, Reflection and Integration
- 5 fortnightly women's circles, held via zoom on weekend afternoons (AEST) and based on the themes of the book (e.g. first circle based on the themes of chapters 1 and 2 (Guilt and Uncertainty), second circle based on chapters 3 and 4 (Invisibility and Fear) etc.
Connection, not more content
- With yourself, via weekly journal prompts sent directly to your email
- With others in the group (verbally through Voxer, or written on a secure platform, as per the wishes of each book club cohort)
Transformational, not another scroll-fest
- This is a holding, raw space where we play nice and believe in self-sovereignty - no bitching or judgement in sight.
- This is not another Facebook group to try and keep up with, it's available to dip in and out of intentionally as it feels good to do so rather than flicking through notifications when on the go.