Hands On Help
In-Home Postpartum Care
Ancient Wisdom for the Modern Mama.
Postpartum traditions across over 170 cultures share five key components. Provision of the first four of these (extended rest, warmth, nourishing food, and body work) are reliant upon a bedrock of community support. In times past, the support of our village of sisters, mothers, aunts and grandmothers functioned as a source of immunity for new mothers from exhaustion, overwhelm and long-term physical and mental ill-health. Traditionally, mother support is provided most intensively in the first six weeks post-birth, and continues in some capacity for the next six weeks as well (the entire "fourth trimester").
In short - our physiology does not thrive in isolation, and it is not normal for us to be at home alone all day with a new baby. In a modern world where this maternal support is not inbuilt in our cultural experience of early motherhood, I am here to fill this gap. I am a woman, mother, nurturer, feeder. I am a mother guide, the person who listens and walks alongside you as you transition from maiden to mother, whether for the first or fifth time.
All face-to-face support packages include:
- A prenatal home visit if your baby hasn't arrived yet (or video call if you prefer) to plan your peaceful postpartum and address any physical pains or niggles you may be experiencing.
- A series of 3-18 in-home support visits during the first 6-12 weeks after your baby's birth, the number and frequency of which are determined by what you feel you need to be properly supported in your postpartum.
- Remote voice message support on non-visit days, personal concierge service and access to my professional referral network for the remainder of your pregnancy and the first 6-12 weeks post-birth, dependent on which package you choose.
- Access to my extensive lending library of books, resources and baby carriers.
- A gorgeous hamper of luxurious organic mama care products.
- Access to multiple virtual and face-to-face mama retreats to deeply relax and connect with other like-minded mothers.
Support visits are meet the Newborn Mama's five main needs. Every three-hour visit looks a little different according to what she needs on the day. A visit can include any of the following.
- Food - nourishing meals and snacks cooked fresh in your kitchen, herbal teas, collecting pre-ordered groceries.
- Rest and nurture - holding baby while you nap or shower, doing household tasks like laundry or dishes so you can rest.
- Warmth - warm food, warm bath, warm hands, warm heart.
- Bodywork - nurturing touch massage, teaching infant massage, belly-binding, women's health rehab support.
- Community support - village building, emotional support, birth story processing, troubleshooting breastfeeding and baby-wearing, cloth nappy support, reassurance and organising professional referrals if something is "outside the norm", life admin help.
Face-to-face support packages vary in duration from 1 post-birth visit to 18, and are valued from $995 to $5000 (although I think you'll find nurture is priceless!).
Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more about my how I can support you and the package options available at this time.
I also offer one-off "Doula for a Day" in home mini retreats for mums. This is makes for a beautiful gift - contact me if you'd like to arrange this for a magical mama in your life.
Whether your child is 4 months old or 4 years old, and whether you have one child or four, mothering is hard work. Regardless of how much support you do or don't have, you find yourself giving your all, then reaching in deeper to reserves to give more to your little ones. Book the house to yourself (your baby can stay with you if you'd prefer) and allow me to give you the time-out you deserve.
Your personal mini-retreat could include any of the following, as decided by what you feel you need on the day:
- Nourishing meals made fresh to eat in your kitchen
- A nurturing touch massage with warm oil
- Luxurious bath soak with herbal tea
- Guided relaxation or meditation
- Private restorative yoga practice
- Assistance writing your birth story, "letter to my baby" or "letter to my newborn self"
- A listening ear
- Assistance planning to reduce stress and overwhelm long-term
- A nap!
If you and a fellow mama want to combine for this treat, please get in touch at email@example.com and we can nut something out together!